Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I believe in learning styles...

Welcome to Your Style or Mine?

I always knew that I learned better in the optimum environment with teachers that taught to me. Unfortunately, I spent many years struggling in classes with teachers that did not fit my learning style. While there are some people who do not believe in learning styles, I believe they are an fundamental part of every person.

There is nothing like the moment when a student’s light bulb turns on, and you know that what you are teaching just became a part of that student’s knowledge. I know that I did not go into education to teach the students who learn like I do. I went into education to bring my passion for learning to everyone.

As an educator, I want to touch the lives of many. To do this, I need to reach out and expand my teaching to include the many and not just the few who learn like me. I do not know about you, but I believe that I am here as an educator to help anyone who wants to expand their horizons. Even if at times, I have to step outside my comfort zone and try new things.

As a teacher, it is necessary to take the time to learn about your style. Once you gain knowledge of how you learn, you can reflect on your teaching style. You may find that you teach, just like you learn. Ask yourself, what it would feel like to be in a class where the teacher ignored your learning style? How would you feel? Would you be able to learn with ease or would you struggle to learn?

It is the teacher’s responsibility to engage the student’s minds in the learning process. When a teacher adds different elements to their teaching method, they engage the Visual, Auditory and tactile kinesthetic learners. When we step outside our comfort zone, we take risks and eventually become well rounded teachers. Remember to teach is to learn… for both the teacher and student!

8 comments:

Leonard C. said...

Analisa, You are so right when you say, "to teach is to learn". I've learned so much from teaching others.
Like you, I'm in the learning field in hopes of doing a better job at teaching than some of the folks that taught me. If they would have given some consideration to different styles of learning, I maybe would have helped me to learn a little easier along they way.

Ron Dobesh said...

Analisa,

I agree with you when you say to teach is to learn, it is a two way street between the student and teacher, and you must be both to deliver the best education possible. I too did not become a trainer jut to teach my point of view. I train to make a better person from the student and myself. I can say I always learn something new with each training session I do.

Ron

Living to Learn said...

Love the quote..."to teach is to learn"....I am always reflecting on how I could do it better, differently, reach someone in a different way. The whole idea for me is that it's not about me, it's about them and what they learn and get out of it.

Anonymous said...

Analisa,
Everything you write always has a positive vibe. Like everyone else I love the quote "to teach is to learn". You are absolutely right! I have learned so much about myself and how to deal with different types of people. Watching the student’s light bulb turn on is one of the greatest rewards.

Danny

Analisa said...

thank you for all your great comments!

I have spent so many years learning from my younger students that I have always equated teaching with learning. When I see through a learners eyes the magic of knowledge, I know without a doubt that I am in the right place as a teacher.

I am enjoying teaching adults now as well as preschoolers. While there are some differences, the magic of the light bulb turning on is just as exciting to me at both stages in the learners lives. I love teaching!

Shelley said...

This is a test, Analisa. Having trouble being able to respond...

Shelley

Shelley B. said...

Hi again, Analisa. Think my problem is resolved....YEAH!!

Anyway, I agree. Teaching is so rewarding. Watching what Oprah would say, an "Ah Ha Moment" is very rewarding. Passing something off to their students that they can use forever...wow!!

I think I just had one of those moments...when I was growing up, I didn't do well in school. I think now it was that my learning style was completely different than the teachers. THAT would make perfect sense. As an adult learner it's more clear. We have a responsibility to help ourselves adapt to the teachers style of learning, but they also need to show a bit of flexibility.

Very nice posting.

Shelley

Analisa said...

Shelly, I wish I had teachers in High school that were aware of learning styles and helping their students achieve more. Now if I could only find a math teacher that could teach me, I would be in heaven. Well math heaven , that is.

I have gotten really good at adapting to my teachers styles. I figure that while it would be great for teachers to adapt to their students. I need to be proactive and do it myself if I want to walk away from a class fulfilled.